You’re crazy busy. Maybe you’re sleep deprived, pouring your third cup of coffee, while desperately trying to wade through your emails before the 10:00 am meeting. You want to be healthier, but your schedule is packed. You probably already know this but taking care of you should be a priority. Not only will you feel better every day, you’re less likely to experience health complications later in life. We’re here to share ten health hacks for busy people just like you.
1. Keep healthy snacks nearby – Snacking isn’t bad. But your choice of snacks can wreak havoc on your body. Buy some healthy snacks that you can keep in your purse or at your desk to nourish your body when cravings strike.
2. Don’t drink your calories – There’s a lot more calories in bottled juices and soft drinks than you realise. Cutting out these beverages is an easy way to reduce sugar and improve overall health.
3. Get healthy food delivered – You couldn’t pack lunch. You may be tempted to walk to the fast food place two minutes away. Instead, find out if your favourite healthy restaurants deliver. You can also try the local FoodDROP app for more healthy options.
4. Walk and stand more – Research has linked too much sitting to excess body fat around the waist, high blood pressure and even cardiovascular disease. Try standing regularly and walking around your office while you take phone calls. Even this limited physical activity can increase energy levels.
5. Exercise at home – Just because you can’t make it to the gym doesn’t mean you can’t work out. The internet is full of videos and apps to help you work out at home. It’s convenient and it’s cheap – many home workouts require only bodyweight or minimal equipment.
6. Workout to music – “Music is like a legal drug for athletes,” said Costas Karageorghis of London’s Brunel University School of Sport and Education. Music helps you to work out harder so that you can get the most out of your exercise time.
7. Sleep – Sleep is your superpower. Adults should be getting at least seven hours of sleep a night, but it’s easy to sacrifice sleep because of that to-do list. Why not create a sleep ritual to help you wind down before bed. Spoiler alert: that means disconnecting from electronic devices and engaging in restful activities.
8. Rest if you’re sick – You have a major project due at work, so you go into the office sniffling and sneezing. Never again! You need to give your body time to recharge and heal; ultimately, that will make you better equipped to tackle life’s challenges.
9. Meditate – Meditation is becoming popular as people discover its health benefits. If you’re a first-time meditator, you can start with short sessions and you can even use mediation apps to guide your sessions.
10. Take care of your mental health – All the tips above will help you to be healthier mentally. However, you’ve also got to practice healthy thinking. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t eat well or if you only got two hours of sleep last night. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself time to learn and grow.
When it comes to health, you don’t have to revamp your lifestyle. You can start small. Even if just one or two of our hacks appeals to you, you can implement them to start building a healthier you today.