Cunupia At The Centre Of A Global BusinessSeptember 25, 2020
Make Your Money Work For YouNovember 10, 2020
Congratulations! You’re a new graduate! You’ve passed your exams, you might even have that beautiful degree up on the wall… but what do you do now? “Now, if you’re anything like I was on graduation day, maybe you’re not feeling so fearless,” Apple CEO Tim Cook told graduates of Duke University. “Maybe you’re thinking about the job you hope to get, or wondering where you’re going to live, or how to repay that student loan. These, I know, are real concerns. I had them, too. But don’t let those worries stop you from making a difference. Fearlessness means taking the first step, even if you don’t know where it will take you.” We’re here to help you take those first steps.
Your Career1. Maybe you’re lucky enough to already have a job lined up. Great! But getting past the interview was only the beginning. You have to work diligently so that your employers associate your name with excellence. This doesn’t mean that you will know it all. Ask questions – no one expects the new guy to know everything and it’s always better to make sure you’re doing the right thing than make avoidable mistakes.
2. And if you don’t have a job – don’t panic! Instead, fix up your CV and show that baby to trusted family or friends who can give you some pointers. Use resources available to search for jobs. And remember – not many people land their dream job straight out of university. Your first job may look very different from what you expected but it may take you in new and exciting areas and you’ll gain valuable experience.
3. Just because you’re out of school does not mean that learning is over. The world of work is changing rapidly due to technological advancements and the new normal of COVID-19. The good news? No generation has had more access to knowledge. Never stop learning!
Your Future4. So… you’re finally earning your own money and you can’t wait to spend. You’ve had your eyes on a new phone or maybe a new outfit. However, you should start saving today. Aim for a rainy day fund with at least three to six months of living expenses. Trust us – no one sees a rainy day coming. You don’t want to go into debt because you had no savings set aside.
5. You should also make sure you have health insurance. The theme here is pretty similar to the point before – you’ve got to be prepared for the bad as well as the good. No one ever expects to end up in the hospital but – if it happens to you – you don’t want the added stress of wondering how you’ll pay for treatment.
6. And, you should also start saving for retirement. We know, you may not retire until the year 2060. That seems like a million years away. However, a well-planned pension plan can provide you with a lifetime income stream after you retire. At Maritime, our Triflex Annuity Gold is a flexible fund with tax-deductible contributions – that means that you will be able to get back some cash now as an incentive for saving for the future. So, it’s win-win!
Take Care of You7. Let’s face it, if you’re physically rundown then your life is going to be pretty miserable. You know what you have to do – eat lots of fruits and veggies, get at least seven hours sleep, exercise regularly and drink enough water. But you still need to check in with yourself and cut out any unhealthy habits.
8. Life after graduation can be a stressful time – it was stressful even for people who didn’t leave school in the midst of a global pandemic! Check out our old blog for tips on managing your health in stressful situations.
9. No matter where life takes you – you should stay connected to the family and friends. Reach out to former classmates to find out how they’re doing. If you don’t live with your family members, send them messages just to say hello – don’t only call when you need something. Yes, staying connected will help you build your network for the future. But more importantly, it will remind you that you are a part of a larger family of people who care.
Remember – not one single person’s life has ever worked out exactly according to plan. You will have adventures, disappointments and triumphs ahead. We hope you enjoy your first steps into this new world.